The Young Entrepreneur Council (YEC), an invite-only organization comprised of the world’s top entrepreneurs, is seeking a full-time associate editor to join us at our new satellite office opening in San Diego. (We have additional offices in New York, NY and Boston, MA.) If you’re a great communicator with a relentless focus on detail who loves editing, content marketing, writing and PR, this might be the perfect start to a career for you. More about YEC: http://mashable.com/2012/06/24/young-entrepreneur-council/
- Familiarity with AP Style and web publishing
- Basic HTML knowledge (h2s, links, etc.)
- Understanding of general SEO principles (meta data, keywords, etc.)
- Experience with WordPress content management system
- Some copywriting/journalism experience; business journalism or copywriting a BIG plus (1-2 years; college experience will be considered if applicable).
The ideal associate editor…
- Is VERY detail-oriented and naturally inquisitive/critical. Editing requires a strong desire to learn, check facts, and double-check your own work.
- Has a strong editorial track record (print or Web) — demonstrated experience in content marketing, copywriting, journalism and/or copyediting/proofing.
- Is a team player and personable communicator who can both take feedback w/o ego AND provide the same to our awesome community.
- Has great time and project management skills. Deadlines are not optional.
- Is willing to ask for help when they need it — or, on the flip side, take the lead on a system or process he/she feels they can improve. The right person will adapt the role to them.
- Is a voracious reader who loves behind-the-scenes startup reporting.
- Editing several dozen articles a month.
- Regularly meeting with Executive Editor to discuss challenges, successes and departmental metrics.
- Assistance planning, assembling and creating eBooks.
- Delivering content to media partners via content management systems or email.
- Overseeing article publication links and providing metrics reports (articles edited, published, etc.).
- Pushing member content live on theYEC.org daily.
- Reading articles for placement in the editorial calendar.
- Creating smart, flawless copy for major media outlets and the YEC website.
- Managing our editorial queue and calendar.
- Interacting with busy members regarding their submissions.
- $35,000/year salary (to start) with growth opportunities based on performance
- Excellent health insurance and dental insurance (optional) after a 90-day probationary period
- Vacation time for all major holidays and 1 week paid vacation every year
- Additional vacation time is negotiable based on individual’s performance