UrbanDaddy is a leading digital lifestyle magazine geared toward the young, urban sophisticate. UD covers the latest and greatest in food, nightlife, style, gear and leisure.
We are currently seeking staff writers for our NYC headquarters.
As staff writer, you’ll be working hand in hand with our powerhouse team to generate daily content for our award-winning editorial platforms. You’ll be responsible for—among other things—writing short, dynamic and witty copy, researching and developing stories, and other editorial duties.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help develop an award-winning digital lifestyle publication and expand a growing company.
• Generate articles that flawlessly embody the UD voice, style and approach
• Work closely with senior editors on content strategy and selection
• Identify and track on-brand venues and lifestyle opportunities for coverage consideration
• Act as liaison between all members of editorial team
• Bachelor’s degree—Journalism or English preferred, but not required
• Over two years of experience at an established publication (*not necessary if you have a natural talent and passion for funny writing and the ability to learn the UrbanDaddy voice… in which case, just write us a brief cover letter that explains and displays this)
• A love (and knack) for sourcing interesting and ahead-of-the-curve content
• A strong understanding of the UD voice and brand
• A sharp and witty sense of humor that shines through in writing
• A desire to be involved with an entrepreneurial company
• Talent, plain and simple
• Competitive compensation
• Full health and dental benefits
• Attractive office in prime location
• Dynamic, fun and hardworking office culture
If you’re the all-star we’re looking for, please submit the following:
2. Cover letter explaining why you’re the best candidate for the position
3. One 200-215-word UD article covering food or nightlife, keeping the voice, format and humor on-brand
4. Answers to the following questions:
a. Please describe UrbanDaddy as if it were a person.
b. Looking at the archives from NYC, how would you define the style, tone, voice and brand of UD?
c. Looking at our current Perks, pick one that’s the most on-brand, and one that’s the least on-brand. Please provide direct links and a short explanation of your reasoning.
d. Describe your ideal night out. Where would you go, who would you go with and why?