The Huffington Post seeks a motivated intern to join the HuffPost GPS for the Soul team as a spring intern. This full-time role is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring journalist to learn about new media platforms and gain experience at The Huffington Post. The intern will partner closely with the editorial team, working on creating stress-related and mindfulness-based content. The intern will have opportunities to pitch and write posts, work with the vertical’s social media accounts, and use HuffPost’s CMS to build and package content for the site, including slideshows. The intern will also work on the GPS for the Soul de-stressing app, helping to put together multimedia GPS Guides. Additionally, through their work with HuffPost GPS for the Soul, the intern will also have the opportunity to gain exposure to and collaborate with HuffPost’s wider group of lifestyle verticals as part of our “Less Stress, More Living” initiative.
• Loading content in to CMS
• Demonstrated interest
• Writing posts, headlines, and teasers
• News gathering on web
• Pitching to editors
• Creating slideshows
• Editorial and photo research
• Assisting with the vertical’s social media account management, specifically Twitter
• Offering creative input
• Helping to coordinate culture coverage
Requirements for Success:
• Demonstrated interest in health and wellness
• Experience working in digital media
• Previous editorial/writing experience and strong writing skills are required
• Detail-oriented, independent worker who excels at multitasking
• Creativity is key—you must think outside the box!
• Experience in creating/writing blogs is strongly preferred
• Experience using a CMS is required (ex.- WordPress, Drupal, MoveableType, etc.)
• Familiarity with Photoshop and InDesign preferred
• Experience with HTML preferred
• Working knowledge of social media outlets is required, including: Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, etc., and professional social media experience is preferred.
• Internet junkies are welcome—the more you love devouring online content, the better! We are looking for the type of candidate who can spot viral content—before it goes viral!
This internship is located in our New York, NY office, and is open to current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent (only May 2012 or later) graduates. It is a full-time, paid role—40 hrs/week, $10.00/hr.